This recipe is laden with tasty goodness, it’s low fat, low calorie, rich in folate, fibre, vitamin C and iron, plus it’s a delicious main course that is healthy & gluten free – what’s not to love?
- 2 large aubergines, halved
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 red peppers, quartered
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp za’atar
- 4 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 140g Puy lentils
- 140g basmati rice
- seeds from 1 pomegranate
- small pack flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Greek or coconut yogurt, to serve
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Using a sharp knife, score a diamond pattern into the aubergines. Brush with 1 tbsp of the oil, season well and place on a baking tray, cut-side down. Cook in the oven for 15 mins. Add the peppers to the tray, turn the aubergines over and drizzle everything with the remaining oil. Sprinkle over the spices, 1 tbsp of the pomegranate molasses and a little salt. Roast in the oven for 15 mins more.
- Boil the lentils in plenty of water until al dente. After they’ve been boiling for 5 mins, add the rice. Cook for 10 mins or until cooked through but with a bit of bite. Drain and return to the pan, covered with a lid to keep warm.
- Stir the pomegranate seeds and parsley through the lentil rice. Divide between four plates or tip onto a large platter. Top with the roasted veg, a dollop of yogurt and the remaining pomegranate molasses drizzled over.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, March 2016