Love chocolate cake but want a healthier alternative? Try this delicious date and carob cake with vegan or wheat-free options.
If you are wheat-free, use rye or spelt flour. You may wish to also add a banana for extra moisture. To make the cake vegan, use soya milk.
350g chopped dates
1 tsp baking soda
1½ cups boiling water
1 tsp coffee powder
2 tsp vanilla essence
½ cup apple juice concentrate
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cub carob powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup milk
1 cup rice bran oil
1 ripe mashed banana (optional)
icing and fresh raspberries (to decorate)
- Preheat your oven to 160°C and line a cake tin.
- Combine dates, baking soda, boiling water, coffee powder and vanilla. Set aside to cool.
- Then add the apple juice, and oil.
- Sift in the flour, cinnamon and carob. Fold together and add milk and banana to a soft dropping consistency.
- Spoon into the tin and bake approx for 55 mins.
- Ice when cool and serve with raspberries.